Home

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cooking with Kids: Pumpkin Pies

Cooking with Kids: Pumpkin Pies

I try to let the kids help me cook whenever possible and when I am not going to loose my sanity!  They love to help pour, dump, stir, crack eggs, and taste things when it is safe.  They know the kitchen rules that are wash hands, wash hands, wash hands.  I have to have clean hands, hair puled back and tasting only after the food is made.  I am grossed out when I think about food and germs.  I guess that is a good thing though!  We made a bunch of pies for Thanksgiving.  This was the first recipe that Big Sis helped me make when she was 2 years old (now 7) and it has been a family tradition since!

We use the following recipe.  Enjoy the pics to follow!
Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
  • 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
  • 1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
  • Whipped cream (optional)

Directions

MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

POUR into pie shell.

BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.





 Yes, Momma did get all of the egg shells out!




Cute cutouts to embellish the tops of my pies!  I got the little cutters on Clearance many years ago at William Sonoma.  They usually carry them in the Fall and clearance them out beginning of December.

 We chopped up a mixture of pecans, shortbread cookies and dried cherries to sprinkle around the top. YUM!
We always top with Whipped Cream!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...