PF Changs Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
After a follow up appointment from Big Sis's eye surgery we stopped and ate at PF Changs. The waitress brought over Lettuce Wraps that were a mis-order. She asked if we wanted them for free and we did not pass them up! They were delicious!
This week I was at the store and some one had left a coupon for a head of iceberg lettuce in the produce section making the lettuce only a few dimes! I have not bought iceberg lettuce in over 12 years because the nutritional value is zilch! We stick to romaine and spinach...the darker greens. But, since I had a coupon and it was so cheap I started dreaming of PF Changs Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps! I decided to google the recipe and I found one! My hubby picked up a few ingredients on his way home and the dream was about to become reality :)
This recipe is not exactly the same as the restaurant version but they are close enough! We loved these! I will definitely be making these again! I doubled the recipe and it made way too much. I really only needed to make a single recipe and we would have had enough for a few meals. I used the leftovers on salads the rest of the week. The sauce is super yummy too! It is a great salad dressing. I will also be using this sauce as a stir-fry sauce and marinade in the future! Plan to spend extra time making these. It takes A LOT longer than the 25 minutes the recipe calls for. Extra tip: Pick up a bag of the crunchy Asian noodles at the store! I made a package of the rice noodles as an extra filler. The rice noodles were good but not fantastic. The recipe gets 5 out of 5 stars at this house!
You can find the original recipe HERE!
P. F. Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps
By Lali on December 16, 2001
Photo by Bergy
About This Recipe
"This recipe is from Todd Wilbur and Top Secret Recipes"
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup water chestnuts
- 2/3 cup mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 -5 leaves iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon hot mustard
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
Stir Fry Sauce
- Make the special sauce by dissolving the sugar in water in a small bowl.
- Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil.
- Mix well and refrigerate this sauce until you're ready to serve.
- Combine the hot water with the hot mustard and set this aside as well.
- Eventually add your desired measurement of mustard and garlic chili sauce to the special sauce mixture to pour over the wraps.
- Bring oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan.
- Saute chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per side or done.
Page 2 of 2
P. F. Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps (cont.)
- Remove chicken from the pan and cool.
- Keep oil in the pan, keep hot.
- As chicken cools mince water chestnuts and mushrooms to about the size of small peas.
- Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
- When chicken is cool, mince it as the mushrooms and water chestnuts are.
- With the pan still on high heat, add another Tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Add chicken, garlic, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms to the pan.
- Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then serve it in the lettuce"cups".
- Top with"Special Sauce".